Friday, June 13, 2008

A Bear in Leland

Richard tells me that John Henderson saw a bear in Leland this morning, in Pendergast's yard on M-22 across from Indiana Woods, just a stone's throw from Fudgie Beach. It's usual to see foxes, minks or an eagle in that location, but a bear is a little over the top. Maybe it will show up at the Wine Festival tomorrow.

I looked for it at 11:30 when I drove in to pick Anna up on the last day of school. I didn't see it -- no surprise there -- but there were fudgies on the beach and downtown was crowded with newly released school kids and resorters riding bikes and walking dogs.

We've had 4 inches of rain in the last week, not a lot compared to much of the Midwest, but enough to make the farmers happy. My sweet potatoes, which looked like produce department scraps when I planted them, have sprung a few leaves and grown a few inches. Still no seedling peanuts, although I've now replanted them for the third time.

No comments: